Utthita Hasta Padangustasana
1. Begin by standing with your feet 3-4 feet apart and your knees unbent, then raise your left knee up towards your belly.
2. With your left arm reach across your thigh, cross over your front ankle and hold the outside of your left foot. If you are unable to reach this far then use a strap to extend your reach. Be sure to remain strong and straight on your standing leg.
3. On an inhalation extend the left leg forward and straighten the knee as much as possible. If you are able to maintain your balance, then swing the leg out to the side.
4. Remain in this position for at least 30 seconds, or several breaths, increasing the duration as your ability increases. On an exhalation return your foot to the floor, then repeat for the same duration on the other side.
This pose strengthens the legs and ankles and stretches the muscles of the legs. Mastery of this pose improves posture and balance and helps to relieve stress and fatigue.
Utthita Hasta Padangustasana Photo Gallery
Maybe You Like Them Too
- Morning Yoga Poses & Wake Up With Yoga
- Warrior 2 Pose
- What is Vinyasa?
- Parivrtta Parsvakonasana Pose
- Low Plank Pose