Author And Life Coach Nicola Findlay

According to a study at the university of Scranton in the u.S., 92% of people don’t achieve the goals they set for themselves. So if you’re the kind of person who’s always promising to stop smoking or start your new fitness regime ‘on Monday’, we’re looking at you. So what exactly are the other high-achieving 8% doing right? Self-proclaimed diva and straight-talking author nicola findlay tells readers of her book live like you Give a f**k! (clink Street publishing) to take a minute to figure out what they really want in life and not settle with what’s handed to them. Here are some of her tips to give you the tools to live the best version of your life.

Author And Life Coach Nicola Findlay Photo Gallery



1. ask why

‘It’s not good enough to know what you want to achieve, you need to have a meaningful reason as to why you want to fulfil your ambition in the first place. Whether you want to learn a new skill, get fit or stop smoking, your why will be the reason you actually get into action. The power of questioning will press you to dig deep into your consciousness and discover the true purpose of that goal, motivating you to keep at it.’

2. take baby steps

‘Don’t start from zero and think you can climb to hero in a day. Aiming too high or acting too quickly can kill your chances of succeeding in the long-term. We’re told to dream big and climb every mountain, which is where many people go wrong. Break your goal down into smaller, manageable (read: achievable) steps. For example, don’t sign up to run a half marathon just because you want to get fit: start by challenging yourself to walk 5km in under an hour.’

3. Kick inner demons

‘At some point your willpower will start to wane – it’s inevitable. You’ll be torn between “good vs. bad”; the “good” will want to support you, the “bad” will want to abort. It’s far easier to cave but you need to train yourself to listen to the “good” voice. Counteract your inner “bad” voice with a positive statement or affirmation that you can repeat to yourself often, like, “I choose to quit smoking in order to improve my health and live a longer life.”’

4. find a cheerleader

‘If you’re finding it tough to listen to your “good” voice, don’t worry, there is a Plan B: recruit a cheerleader. But a “yes person” isn’t going to help you get what you want – you need someone who can kick you back into gear when you fall off track, without making you feel terrible about yourself. That someone should inspire and motivate you with phrases like, “I believe in you, you’ve got this.”’

5. treat yourself

‘Whatever your goal is there’s a strong chance you won’t achieve it overnight, so the most important thing is to enjoy the journey. Don’t wait until the very end to reward yourself. Appreciate the amazing progress you have made and celebrate the milestones along the way, whether that’s going to the gym three times a week or finishing a book on your to-read list. Rewards and incentives will push you to keep on going and make the ride a lot more fun.’

Maybe You Like Them Too

Leave a Reply